Caramel Apple Buttermilk Muffins
These muffins are so moist and have a perfect blend of tart and sweet. Take some to a neighbor today!
For the streusel topping:
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, chilled
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the muffins:
½ cup extra virgin olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
1 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk (regular, not low-fat)
2 2/3 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1¾ cups peeled and coarsely chopped tart apple such as Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, or Cortland
For the icing:
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners (I love these reusable silicone ones) or spray with a cooking spray made for baking that contains flour, such as Baker’s Joy .In a small bowl, combine all the streusel ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, brown sugar, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in the wet ingredients, stirring lightly just until combined. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups dividing it equally. Sprinkle streusel topping on the muffins, pressing down lightly.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes, just until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, prepare drizzle mixture. Combine brown sugar, butter, and milk in a small saucepan. Heat just until blended. Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar while stirring constantly to form a pourable icing. (If it is too thin, add more powered sugar. If it is too thick, add more milk.)
- Cool muffins in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack. Drizzle with icing. Makes 16 muffins.